Cellulite affects about 85% to 90% of post pubertal females of all races. Though it is not a disease, the issue is of cosmetic concern to many individuals. Poor circulation of lymph due to excess of fat, lack of exercise or fluid retention contributes to cellulite formation. This may explain its formation in some women who are not overweight. A large number of methods to reduce cellulite are now available being both invasive and noninvasive.
Some natural methods to reduce cellulite are as follows:
1) A detoxifying diet - This type of diet helps in clearing of excess of fluid, waste products and toxins from the body.
- A high percentage of the food eaten must be in the form of fresh raw fruits and vegetables as well as brown rice, seeds and bean sprouts. Eat five servings of fruits and vegetable each day.
- One cup of water with freshly squeezed lemon taken early morning on an empty stomach is a simple natural remedy for cellulite control. Drink plenty of fluids in the form of fruit juices and herbal teas. Cut down on caffeine containing beverages and alcohol.
- Avoid intake of refined and processed foods
- Some herbs like dandelion enhance the livers ability to break down waste products and toxins. It also aids the kidneys to filter blood of these waste products and toxins. Dandelion leaves can be added to salads or cooked like spinach. A cup of dandelion tea each day containing 50 Gms of fresh dandelion leaves to half a liter of water.
2) Yoga & Exercises: Working out is a natural way to reduce and control cellulite. Regular exercises and yoga improve the tone of the body, reduce fat, build up the muscles and boost the circulation of blood and lymph. Avoid sitting or standing for a long time.
3) Use of essential oils - A firm massage improves the circulation of blood and lymph. Massage with essential oils may be especially helpful as it stimulates the skin and helps in improving its appearance.
- Gently brush the affected part with a soft dry bristle brush. It must be started from the feet upwards. This not only improves the blood circulation, but also removes dead skin cells and improves the appearance of the skin.
- Mix 4 drops of each cedar wood oil and rosemary essential oils and three drops of each cypress and patchouli essentials oils into five teaspoons of cold pressed vegetable oil such as olive oil or sweet almond oil. Avoid cedar wood, cypress and rosemary oils in the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. Massage the cellulite areas twice a day.
4) Cellulite creams containing herbs -Creams made of herbs like Ginkgo bilobais, sweet clover, sea-weed, grape seed oil, lecithins, evening primrose oil, lemon, ivy barley, kola nut, strawberry, algae etc are also some of the natural methods to reduce cellulite and improve the skin texture in the affected areas. They are to be rubbed in the affected arrears three to four times a day daily.
Cellulite is a bane of almost every woman’s existence. In fact, over 90 per cent of women will have cellulite at one point in their life with the risk of developing the condition increasing with age. Women are more likely to develop the condition than men because women simply have a higher fat content.
However, what confuses many women is that this skin problem isn’t necessarily related to being overweight – it is simply a risk factor. Many slender females who work out regularly can still suffer from the unsightly dimpling. This is because cellulite is caused by the thin layer of fat beneath the skin which doesn’t necessarily grow with weight gain or decrease with weight loss. Many scientists believe that cellulite is affected by a woman’s hormones. However, to confuse the situation further, women who are overweight have a higher likelihood of developing the condition because the risk of the fat layer growing
increases with more weight and the unstable or loose foundation the larger lower layers of fat give to the thinner upper layer.
One of the best methods of losing cellulite is exercise. This is for two main reasons. Cardiovascular exercise will burn calories and the body will draw some fat away from the thin cellulite layer (as well as
from other fat deposits in the body). Secondly, weight bearing exercise will increase muscle tone which will mean that you will burn more calories while resting, the larger firmer muscle will provide a solid
foundation for the layer of fat beneath the skin and stretch the skin itself to reduce the dimples.
The reason why you should do exercise that works the affected area is to increase the muscle mass there and provide a more solid foundation. Working a particular area doesn’t automatically lead to fat loss in that area as the body takes energy from all of its fat reserves, not just those ones located in the area worked.
Any exercise regime should be complemented with a good diet. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables, and reduce your fat and sugar intake. By drinking plenty of water you will help to rehydrate your skin which
improves its firmness and help reduce the appearance of dimples.
As with most things that are worth it, it will take time for you cellulite reduction plan to start to see results. And these results can come slowly. Keep at it and make adjustments to your program only after
you have given them enough time to work.